Why Toothpaste Tablets Are Better For You
Squeeze. Brush. Spit. Repeat. Whether we realize it or not, our day starts and ends in front of that mirror, with that all-too-familiar tube, bent beyond recognition, sitting on the edge of the sink. However, a few years ago, that much-beloved routine got a much-needed update. No need to foam at the mouth now, toothpaste just became more convenient and environmentally friendly than ever. No wonder so many are trading in their tubes for tablets. Toothpaste tablets are trending now, and this is one trend that we can 100% get behind.
How do toothpaste tablets work?
Toothpaste tablets are chewable tiny circular discs (think breath mints) that are made from natural ingredients and essential oils that are designed to keep teeth clean and your breath fresh. When the tablets are chewed, the ingredients in the tablet will mix with your saliva and create a foam or paste that can be brushed.
So, you may be thinking it does what toothpaste can do, big deal. However, the truth is that it is a big deal, especially for the environment.
Why are toothpaste tablets better for you?
Though the toothpaste tube seems innocuous, the truth is that it has the potential to cause a great deal of harm. Let us look at some of the ways that toothpaste tablets are better for you and the environment:
- Plastic-free: In America alone, more than 400 million toothpaste tubes are thrown out every year, the majority of which end up in the landfill since most tubes are made of aluminum and plastic that cannot be recycled. Currently, all brands of toothpaste tablets are 100 percent plastic-free products with most being packaged in recyclable glass jars.
- No harmful ingredients: toothpaste tablets are waterless and so they do not require the chemical preservatives needed in traditional toothpaste such as parabens or sodium benzoate. Instead, tablets are usually made up of plant ingredients that are safer for you and clean just as effectively. The formulation of the tablets is such that the abrasives and surfactants can produce a foam that dissolves and removes residues that are adherent to teeth. For example, with the Vital brand of toothpaste tablets, a few of the ingredients include xylitol (a natural sweetener that also fights oral bacteria), calcium carbonate (a chemical compound found naturally in limestone), sodium bicarbonate (standard baking soda), and natural flavors all of which are safe for you.
- Travel-friendly: tired of tussling with TSA or being fearful that your toothpaste will squirt all over your stuff? That won’t be a problem with toothpaste tablets. They are also easier to store and maneuver when traveling so that you can freshen up during long flights.
- Water-free: water is essential to life and all its processes. However, it is also used to manufacture just about everything including beauty and personal care items such as lotions, gels, and pastes, and we have not even talked about their containers. Toothpaste tablets, and other water-free products, tend to use eco-friendly packaging that is conscious of water use.
- Hygienic: though sharing a tube of toothpaste with your family is sweet, it is not always hygienic as the tube touches each toothbrush. This could result in microbes being transferred between brushes and if the pandemic has taught us anything, it is just how transmissible disease can be.
- Motivation: Kids and teens get bored easily and getting them to brush twice daily can be difficult. Shake up their routine by introducing them to a fun new way to brush their teeth.
Choosing a chewable toothpaste tablet
The simple act of swapping your tube for a tablet can make a huge impact on our environment. We need to do what we can to preserve our planet and make it a better place for future generations. Vital™Toothpaste Tablets plays its part in preserving the environment by not using harsh chemicals, cheap fillers, or artificial dyes in its products. Brush your teeth while simultaneously brushing away your fear of harming the planet with any of our delicious flavors: Fresh Mint, Berry Blast, or Charcoal mint for an extra added whitening boost.
Made with you and the earth in mind, our products are made with all-natural ingredients, and are vegan friendly and cruelty-free. They are packaged in refillable glass jars and can help you to remove the plastic trail from your regular oral hygiene routine. Mornings are the best time to start something new, why not start living sustainably? Change that antiquated and harmful morning routine. Throw away the tube and take up your tablet instead.
Chew. Brush. Smile. Repeat. Your mouth will thank you for it. Mother Earth will thank you for it. Future generations will thank you for it.
Click here to take a closer look at everything Vital has to offer.
- Bauer, S. (2021, October 21). Should You Trade Your Tube for Toothpaste Tablets? SHAPE.
- Hancock Village Dental. (n.d.). ARE CHEWABLE TOOTHPASTE TABS RELIABLE?
- Grove Collaborative. (2021, May 26). We tried it: What is it like to use toothpaste tablets?
- Shackell, J. (2021, February 14). Down the tubes: should you brush your teeth with toothpaste tablets? The Guardian.
- Vital. (2020, August 12). What Are Toothpaste Tablets?